Behaviour & Handling
Handling in challenging situations
How does the course work?
What you will learn
In this course you will learn about the situations when a horse may become a challenge to handle and how to react appropriately. The topics you will learn about include:
- when and why a horse may present a challenge to handle;
- how to deal with defensive and threatening reactions;
- the circumstances under which it may be necessary to use a form of physical restraint;
- how to choose a suitable method of restraint;
- personal protective equipment and other safety precautions;
- how to apply restraint in a safe and humane manner;
- the circumstances under which it may be necessary to sedate a horse; and
- who may apply chemical restraint and what to bear in mind when using it.