Ethics & Welfare - an introduction
How does the course work?
What you will learn
Ethics and morals form the basis of a society’s values. These in turn form a framework that dictates how humans interact with each other and with their environment. They also lie at the heart of our treatment of the animals in our care.
Ethics therefore shape our understanding of what is right and just, while welfare centres on how ethical standards can be applied to ensure a horse’s well-being.
In this course, you will learn about:
- The Social Licence to Operate and why it is important
- The terms that are used when discussing ethics and welfare and what they mean
- What the duty of care involves
- The Five Freedoms and the Five Domains of animal welfare
- How a horse’s welfare can be assessed