The Equine Athlete
How does the course work?
Online Course duration
What you will learn
Horses are naturally able to adapt to a wide range of climatic conditions. Understanding how a horse does this, and how movement affects a horse's core temperature is important for anyone involved with horses that engage in athletic activities. In this course, you will learn about:
- how horses are equipped to cope with different environmental conditions;
- how heat exchange works;
- why heat-loss mechanisms are so important in the exercising horse;
- how fluid and electrolytes are involved in heat loss mechanisms;
- how to artificially increase, or reduce heat loss in the horse; and
- how to prepare a horse for exercise in thermally stressful environments.