Horse Care & Management
Shoeing and other forms of hoof protection
How does the course work?
What you will learn
Many horses that are used for work, leisure and sporting activities benefit from some form of hoof protection. Traditionally, horses were shod with metal shoes, but nowadays, many other forms of hoof protection are available. In this course you will learn about:
- why horses are shod;
- the different types of horseshoes that are available;
- what is involved in shoeing a horse;
- the use of adhesives and artificial horn to attach shoes and repair damaged hooves;
- the different types of hoof boot that are available; and
- when and why hoof boots may be a good alternative to horse shoes.